Monday, March 5, 2012

Think Spring! Patchwork Scarf

So, I have a ton of scraps.  I mean a ton.  Don't ask me where they all came from, they are just there!  I dumped them all out on the floor and decided that one way or another, I was going to figure out a way to use them all up.  Now, I am by no means a quilter, so here is what I came up with. Both of these scarves measure about 5' x 6".  Let's work on the purple and green one.




For this one you will need:
 Color A- 11 (3"x7") pieces  (plaid fabric)
 Color B- 5 (5"x4"), 5 (3"x4") pieces  (striped fabric)
 Color C- 5 (5"x4"), 5 (3'x4") pieces  (dark fabric)
 Color D- 10 (3"x4") pieces  (light floral fabric)
 Backing-  1 (63"x7") or 2 (32"x7")  *you may need to trim the backing before sewing it to the front-I use english measurements but have metric guides on my sewing machine so things don't always come out quite exact-better to cut too big to begin with than not have enough.

Lay out your pattern.
Sew all the pieces together using 1/2" seams.  Press seams open.  Place backing and front right sides together and sew 1/2" seam all the way around, leaving a 4" opening on one side.  Trim corners, turn right side out, and press.  Topstitch 1/8" from edge all the way around. (This will close up the opening as well as give the scarf a more finished look.)
Ta da!
Okay, now for the yellow and pink scarf.
Pieces needed:
  Color A- 8 (5"x7") (small floral fabric)
  Color B- 7 (3"x7")  (large floral fabric)
  Color C- 7 (3"x7")  (light yellow fabric)
  Backing- same as scarf above

Again, lay out pattern and assemble as above.
More ta da!








4 comments:

  1. These are very pretty, I love them both... great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! Even though I'm really not a quilter, it was still a lot of fun putting them together. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a clever idea for a seasonal scarf as well. Thanksgiving, Christmas, Halloween, Easter etc. Just found your post, but it's a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So sorry for the way over do response! Thank you and have fun with the idea!

      Delete