Monday, June 11, 2012

Yellow Polka Dots Summer Scarf

Have you ever started one of those projects that just seemed to be jinxed?  No matter what you do or how easy/hard the project is, it just doesn't want to happen and all you really want to do is shove it in a drawer and forget that you ever tried.  For some reason this scarf was one of those projects for me.  It's really not that difficult to make but I think I crocheted the thing 3 times with all the pulling out stitches and redoing I had to do.  But I promised all of you that I was working on a summery scarf pattern so I persisted and here it finally is.  My sincere apologies for it taking so long.  (In other news this is my modeling debut and also my self photography debut. :D)

Here is what you will need.

Yarn: I used a little over 2 skeins of 100% cotton sport weight yarn that were 2 1/4 oz. each.
Hook:  Size G

Chain 41.
R1:  1 dc in 7'th ch, *ch 1, 1 dc in 2nd ch, repeat from *, 1dc in last ch, ch 3, turn.
R2:  3 dc in 1st dc of previous row, * 1dc in 2nd dc, ch 1, dc in next dc, ch 1, dc in next dc, 7 dc in 2nd dc, repeat from *.  4 dc in turning ch, ch 3, turn.
R3:  Work 3 dc together in the 2nd and next 2 dc, *ch 3, dc in next dc, ch 1, dc in next dc, ch 1, dc in next dc, ch 3, work 7 dc together in the next 7 dc, repeat from *, work 3 dc in next 3 dc, 1 dc in turning ch, ch 4, turn.
R4.  *1 dc in ch 3 space, ch 1, 1 dc in next dc, ch 1, 1 dc in next dc, ch 1, 1 dc in next dc, ch 1, 1 dc in ch 3 space, ch 1, 1 dc in top of 7 dc worked together, ch 1, repeat from *, 1 dc in turning ch, ch 4, turn.
R5:  Skip 1'st dc, *dc in next dc, ch 1, repeat from *, 1 dc in turning ch, ch 4, turn.
R6.  1 dc in 2nd dc, *7 dc in the 2nd dc, 1 dc in the 2nd dc, ch 1, 1 dc in the next dc, ch 1, 1 dc in the next dc, ch 1, repeat from *, 1 dc in turning ch, ch 4, turn.
R7:  1 dc in 2nd dc, *ch 3, work 7 dc together in next 7 dc, ch 3, 1dc in next dc, ch 1, 1 dc in next dc, ch 1, 1dc in next dc, repeat from *, 1 dc in turning ch, ch 4, turn.
R8:  dc in 2nd dc, *ch 1, dc in ch 3 space, ch 1, 1 dc in top of 7 dc worked together, ch 1, 1 dc in ch 3 space, ch 1, 1 dc in next dc, ch 1, 1 dc in next dc, ch 1, 1 dc in next dc, repeat from *, 1 dc in turning ch, ch 3, turn.
Repeat R2-8 17 times.
Repeat R2-7 1 time.
Stitch 1 row of sc evenly all around the outside edge of the scarf, remembering to add an extra stitch at the corners to prevent bunching, slip stitch to first sc, and finish off.
Weave in all of the ends, trim, and done.

If you want to work this in a different yarn or would like a different width, the foundation chain is any number divisible by 12, plus 5.  To change length repeat R1-8 until desired length is reached.  (I skipped row 8 on the final repeat so that the ending rows and the beginning rows would match.)


Second attempt at modeling.  :)

P.S.  I have been known to make mistakes.  If you should find any feel free to let me know in the comments.  Thanks!

10 comments:

  1. I love your crochet patterns. How do you feel about letting others sell the items they make from your patterns? (Not sell the actual patterns.)
    ~ Evie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you like my patterns. Thank you! :) I'm fine with home crafters etc. using my patterns to create items to sell. (Just no mass produced commercial production please.) My feeling about it is-don't put a pattern on the internet and expect people to not use it. Enjoy and I hope the items will be a hit with your customers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. very difficult to foloow, why are we repeating row 2 71 times at the end of the scarf?

      Delete
    2. You are not repeating row 2 71 times. You are repeating rows 2-7 one time.

      Delete
  3. I don't intend to mass produce, so not to worry ~ Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much for the pattern! It's really fun to make! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! So glad you like. Hope your scarf goes better than mine did, lol. For some reason I kept goofing up and having to go back, pull out the stitches, and redo it.

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can you do a You Tube VIdeo of the following:
    R3: Work 3 dc together in the 2nd and next 2 dc, *ch 3, dc in next dc, ch 1, dc in next dc, ch 1, dc in next dc, ch 3, work 7 dc together in the next 7 dc, repeat from *, work 3 dc in next 3 dc, 1 dc in turning ch, ch 4, turn.
    R4. *1 dc in ch 3 space, ch 1, 1 dc in next dc, ch 1, 1 dc in next dc, ch 1, 1 dc in next dc, ch 1, 1 dc in ch 3 space, ch 1, 1 dc in top of 7 dc worked together, ch 1, repeat from *, 1 dc in turning ch, ch 4, turn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry, I do not have any way to do a video. If you want to try to tell me specifically what is giving you a problem, I will be happy to try to help you walk through it.

      Delete