Pages

Sunday, October 16, 2022

Bamboo Cables Cowl

 

For the longest time I have been meaning to learn how to do the different foundation stitches that eliminate the need for a starting chain. But I kept putting it off, stubbornly clinging to those tedious chains for some unknown reason. When I thought about how I wanted to design this cowl, and how I wanted it to look, I realized it was time. It NEEDED foundation double crochet. And so, I set about learning. Why, why was I such a brat about putting it off? It’s amazing! And so easy! I’m in love.
I’m not even going to give you a starting chain option. Seriously, if you don’t have fdc in you life, do yourself a favor and learn it today.

Stitches used:
Foundation double crochet (Fdc) I used this tutorial.
Chain (ch)
Slip stitch
Double crochet (dc)
Front post treble crochet (FPtr)  Yarn over twice.  From front, insert hook around back of post of stitch below, yarn over, draw up a loop.  (Yarn over, pull through two loops) 3 times.
Back post treble crochet (BPtr)  Yarn over twice.  From back, insert hook around front of post of stitch below, yarn over, draw up a loop.  (Yarn over, pull through two loops) 3 times.

Hook- H/8 (5 mm)

Yarn- (4) skeins of Bambool by elsebeth lavold 50 g/92 yd.  This is a bamboo blend yarn of 80% bamboo and 20% merino wool.  This yarn has been discontinued but can be found on ebay.

Finished cowl measurements- 32 inches around x 9 inches tall

Fdc 47. Ch 2, turn.
R1) Work 1 dc in second stitch from hook. Work *1 FPtr, 2 dc*. Repeat between *’s across. Ch 2, turn.
R2) Work I dc in second stitch from hook. Work *1BPtr in FPtr below, 2 dc*. Repeat between *’s across. Ch 2, turn.

Repeat rows 1 and 2 until cowl is desired length. I used all 4 of my skeins completely to get a 32 inch length.
When desired length is reached, ch 1, turn. Bring ends together and use a slip stitch to join. Finish off, weave in ends.

You may not reproduce or copy my pattern or images in any way.  You may link to my pattern from another site.  You may sell items made from my pattern as long as you give me credit.


No comments:

Post a Comment