Pages

Sunday, October 16, 2022

Blankets, Blankets, Blankets.....

 

When I first picked up crocheting again, I didn’t want to spend a lot of money on yarn while I was re-learning, but I did want to have yarn on hand to work with.  This led to what became a very large supply of what I will call basic yarn.  I had a lot of skeins of things like Red Heart Super Saver.  There is nothing wrong with this kind of yarn, but for things like scarves and hats there are softer and cuddlier yarns on the market.  So then, what to do with all this yarn that would be a useful item, and how to make it into something that will still be soft and cuddly?

Enter this pattern- http://www.handcraftingwithlove.net/yarn/pat-avshell2.html

This was a great basic pattern that worked up quickly and, with a few adjustments, gave a finished project that was just the right amount of snuggly.

For each blanket, I used approximately 2.6 pounds of yarn.  I used the starting chain count for a 40 inch blanket, but used a N/9mm hook instead of an H hook.  This gave it a much softer texture.  For each blanket, I worked 84 rows.  This made it easy to divide colors into equal stripes when I wanted to do so.  My finished blankets measured 50 inches x 60 inches.  Just the right size to snuggle under with a good book on a cold autumn day!

 

This was the first blanket that I made.  I love how these colors came together!

 

And then another one…

and another….

and another!

And then I started using up smaller skeins of yarn with some random stripe blankets.

One in brown…

 

and one in shades of blue.

 

If you need a comfy handmade blanket in your life but don’t have time to make one for yourself, these are available in my Etsy shop here.

No comments:

Post a Comment